It’s that time again! I’m bringing back something from my old, regular blogging days of the mid-aughts: the Friday Random Ten. I don’t remember who started this tradition, but a bunch of us Philly bloggers would bring this around every Friday. The basic rules are:
- fire up your digital music player
- go to “all songs“ and shuffle play everything
- note the first 10 songs to show up, without skipping anything
- create your playlist
Today’s Friday Random Ten, brought to you by dealing with a certain hosting company’s policies on hosting sites of hate groups.
- “Dark Blue” – No Doubt, Return of Saturn
- “Mr. Tanner” – Harry Chapin, Short Stories
- “Close to Me” – The Cure, Galore
- “Angel” – Dave Matthews Band, Everyday
- “Carnival” – Natalie Merchant, Tigerlily
- “Apologies are for the Weak” – Miss May I, Apologies are for the Weak
- “Out of the Frying Pan (and into the Fire)” – Meat Loaf, Bat out of Hell II: Back into Hell
- “Cupcakes in my Basement” – Saltlakrits, single
- “Get Off My Elevator” – Kool Keith, Office Space: The Motion Picture Soundtrack
- “Johnny, Kick a Hole in the Sky” – Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mother’s Milk
Artists I’ve seen live: Meat Loaf, Red Hot Chili Peppers
Favorite track on the list: difficult, as this is not a playlist I would have put together myself, and some of these bands have fallen way off my rotation list. However, that list definitely does not include The Cure.
Least favorite track on the list: again, difficult. I’ll choose "Angel".
Whelp, I’m not going to the Good Place: yes, RHCP used to be my favorite band, and I have seen them multiple times. Sometimes traveling as far as nearly 250 miles from my home.
The wtf? moment: I honestly had to look up "Cupcakes in my Basement" because I had absolutely no idea what that song is. Oh, right. My Little Pony! It was research, years ago, when I was writing an article on the brony music scene.